If you’re suffering from Achilles tendonitis, don’t worry – OrthoSole is here to help!
We’ve designed some of the best insoles for Achilles tendonitis on the market. Read on for more information on the symptoms and causes of Achilles tendonitis, and how our products can help you combat discomfort, eliminate pain, and get back to your everyday life again as soon as possible!
What is Achilles Tendonitis?
This condition occurs when the Achilles tendon – the large tendon that connects your calf muscles to your heel bones – becomes inflamed and, in some cases, noticeably swollen.
There are actually two acute forms of Achilles tendonitis:
- Non-insertional Achilles tendinopathy occurs when the fibres in the middle of the tendon start to break down. It’s most commonly seen in athletes and young, very active people who have been exercising frequently and therefore putting their Achilles tendon under a lot of strain.
- Insertional Achilles tendinopathy normally affects the lower part of the heel, close to the heel bone. This is more often seen in less active individuals and can be accompanied by heel spurs.
What are the symptoms of Achilles tendonitis?
Achilles tendonitis is characterised by pain, stiffness and sometimes thickness in the calf tendon itself, along with a burning sensation in the heel of the foot. Discomfort tends to be worse the day after exercising, and pain can increase during physical activities like walking, running and jumping, as the tendon is placed under increased strain.
How OrthoSole can help?
Our fantastic range of customisable insoles have been specifically developed to help our customers treat and prevent foot-related conditions.
Our insoles for Achilles tendonitis provide unrivalled heel support. You can use any one of the insoles available from our online shop to keep pain and discomfort at bay. The trick is to wear your chosen insole with the firmest piece possible to provide maximum cushioning to your heel bone and the surrounding metatarsals. Opt for Light or Medium strength pieces if you find the Firm ones to be too intrusive.
For maximum benefit we recommend purchasing our Max Cushion for your Trainers & Work Boots (shoes with that bit of room) and then our Thin Style for your tight fitting / formal shoes. No matter what shoes you wear making sure the support is there!
Heel lifts for Achilles Tendonitis
Achilles Tendonitis can also be helped with our 8mm heel lifts. (We would recommend choosing the 6mm option if your shoes are particularly tight-fitting) to help take the stress away from the tendon. You can learn more about the many benefits of wearing heel lifts here.
At OrthoSole we have a wide range of heel lift thicknesses available for leg length discrepancy 4mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 15mm. All of these are available in either a Small Medium and Large.
Our Small Heel Lift usually fits a UK 3-6 shoe size
Our Medium Heel Lift usually fits a UK 7-9 shoe size
Our Large Heel Lift usually fits a UK 10-13 shoe size.
Our heel lifts can be prescribed by professionals who have measured leg differences in millimeters, and then the correct size chosen to be added to a person’s footwear to assist them.
What else can you do to treat the condition?
In most cases, Achilles tendonitis can be managed by:
- Resting up and avoiding any activities that cause your symptoms to worsen
- Elevating your feet and legs to take the pressure off your feet
- Applying ice to the tendon and/or the heel bone for up to 20 minutes, several times per day, to keep inflammation to a minimum
- Taking over-the-counter painkillers if necessary
Once the pain begins to subside, you could try a certain set of exercises that are known to strengthen your calf muscles and prevent the condition from flaring up again.
And as well as following the advice above, you can wear OrthoSole insoles in your everyday footwear to provide additional support to your Achilles tendon while it heals.